Sunday, January 23, 2011

Hanging out with the cows

Mary leading the pack as usual
The herd tromped out to greet me as I returned to the barn after a walk in the snowy pasture.  Cows are curious and affectionate by nature and it's a pleasure to spend time with them.  Agnes was a little camera shy at first, but she lightened up after a while.  I wonder if her
skittishness is due to a lack of socialization as a calf, or if it is a genetic trait that she'll pass on to her offspring.  I'm still leaning toward breeding her soon for a fall calf, though I'll have no shortage of breeding stock with the addition of my two NEW Galloway heifers!  I'm picking them up in Missouri near the Lake of the Ozarks on Friday.  Galloways are another prime grass-fed beef breed.  We'll hold a little competition to see who grows the best at Bluestem Farm.


Bluestem Abe, a pretty white park steer
Not-so-wild Agnes

No comments: